Posts by BHS2


Join us July 1st at 11am at Washington Monument as we reenact the laying of the original cornerstone in 1827. Thirty-minute ceremony will feature period music, presentation of colors and musket firing by: Maryland Society Sons of the American Revolution (MDSSAR) Christian Ardinger Chapter of the Maryland Society, Sons of the American Revolution, Washington County, Maryland Sergeant Lawrence Everhart Chapter of the Maryland Society,...

Read More

It must have been a remarkable sight – on the morning of July 4, 1827 as many as 500 citizens of Boonsboro and nearby communities assembled on the town square at 7:00 am and, headed by the stars and stripes and a fife and drum corps, marched to an area called The Blue Rocks at the summit of South Mountain.  Motivated simply by patriotism, our fore-bearers had set out to erect the first monument in this Country dedicated to the...

Read More

Crystal Grottoes, the only commercial cave now open in Maryland, is also one of the largest in the state. Nearly one half mile of passage was mapped in 1968. The cave was discovered in 1920 as a result of quarry operations for road material.  A drill bit (for placing explosives) disappeared into a hole, and the crew realized they had found a cave. Blasting subsequently created an opening large enough to allow exploration. Because of...

Read More

Dr. Peter Fahrney was born in Lancaster, PA in 1767, orphaned by age two and raised by neighboring families.  He learned the trade of a tanner and, together with his wife Eve (Durnbaugh) Fahrney, had 4 children.  Sadly, his wife died when their oldest child was only 11 years old.  Perhaps encouraged by his in-laws to relocate to Maryland that they might assist in caring for the children, Fahrney moved with his family to the area now...

Read More

There were only five houses in Boonsboro in 1796:  Peter Conn’s Eagle Hotel, a structure on the site of 44 N. Main St. that may have been William Boone’s store, Jacob Craig’s house next to the hotel (now the bakery at 7 North Main St.), Mrs. Short’s log-built store (on the site of Vesta’s at 2 S. Main St.) and “a house at the spring,” probably now the Hamilton/Brining House at 103 N. Main St. The Eagle Hotel was the first stone...

Read More