In 1806, construction was completed on Boonsboro’s dual-congregation Salem Church on Potomac Street. This church, jointly owned and serving both Lutheran and Reformed congregations for many years, was considered one of the finest stone churches in western Maryland. After the Civil War, the two congregations were able to build separate buildings. In 1870, the cornerstone was laid at the new Trinity Lutheran Church at 64 South Main Street and, in the same year, the Trinity Reformed Church was constructed on the site of the former Salem Church at 33 Potomac Street.
The Salem Church before its demolition in 1870. Photo courtesy of Boonsborough Museum of History.