Boonsboro Reflections


The Daughters of the American Revolution collaborated with Harvey Bomberger in his efforts to restore the collapsing Washington Monument during the 1920’s and ‘30’s, difficult years of stock market collapse and the Great Depression.  Isabel S. Mason wrote an influential poem dedicated to the Monument entitled, “The First Washington Monument” which was published in The Patriotic Marylander and local newspapers.   It is fitting to...

Read More

For 190 years, our Monument has endured the relentless pull of gravity, weather extremes, lightening strikes, souvenir collectors and vandalism.  A curious rumor circulates that an indignant father suspected his daughters of meeting their suitors at the Monument and, in an attempt to discourage the amorous couples, detonated a charge of dynamite causing further damage to the deteriorating structure.   At any rate, by the time the...

Read More

It must have been a remarkable sight – on the morning of July 4, 1827 as many as 500 citizens of Boonsboro and nearby communities assembled on the town square at 7:00 am and, headed by the stars and stripes and a fife and drum corps, marched to an area called The Blue Rocks at the summit of South Mountain.  Motivated simply by patriotism, our fore-bearers had set out to erect the first monument in this Country dedicated to the...

Read More

Crystal Grottoes, the only commercial cave now open in Maryland, is also one of the largest in the state. Nearly one half mile of passage was mapped in 1968. The cave was discovered in 1920 as a result of quarry operations for road material.  A drill bit (for placing explosives) disappeared into a hole, and the crew realized they had found a cave. Blasting subsequently created an opening large enough to allow exploration. Because of...

Read More

Dr. Peter Fahrney was born in Lancaster, PA in 1767, orphaned by age two and raised by neighboring families.  He learned the trade of a tanner and, together with his wife Eve (Durnbaugh) Fahrney, had 4 children.  Sadly, his wife died when their oldest child was only 11 years old.  Perhaps encouraged by his in-laws to relocate to Maryland that they might assist in caring for the children, Fahrney moved with his family to the area now...

Read More

There were only five houses in Boonsboro in 1796:  Peter Conn’s Eagle Hotel, a structure on the site of 44 N. Main St. that may have been William Boone’s store, Jacob Craig’s house next to the hotel (now the bakery at 7 North Main St.), Mrs. Short’s log-built store (on the site of Vesta’s at 2 S. Main St.) and “a house at the spring,” probably now the Hamilton/Brining House at 103 N. Main St. The Eagle Hotel was the first stone...

Read More